University of Houston Law Center – Law School Dual Degree Programs
Dual degree programs are available at the UH Law Center, allowing students to earn two degrees in less time than it would take to complete them sequentially. Students interested in pursuing this option must make separate application to the UH Law Center and to the desired program. Degrees that can be combined with a J. D. include:
University of Houston Law Center and University of Calgary Faculty of Law International Energy Lawyers Program (IELP) Dual Degree JD Program
* The UH Law Center and The University of Calgary offer an International Energy Lawyers Program which allows students to earn both American and Canadian law degrees in four years. Students will spend two years at each school and take courses that will enable them to apply for admission to bars in the United States and Canada. The driving force behind the program is a shared commitment to natural resource, energy and environmental law.
Master of Business Administration at UH
* The Law Center and the UH Bauer College of Business offer a dual J. D./M.B.A program that prepares students for a wide range of careers where law and business overlap. This program holds special appeal for students directed toward investment banking, accounting, international trade, industrial relations, corporate law, the entertainment industry and management consulting.
* Disciplines of history and law are combined in a dual J.D./M.A. program administered through the UH Law Center and the UH Department of History. The curriculum combines legal theory and practical training with graduate work in legal and constitutional history. Students enrolled at the UH Law Center who are successfully pursuing legal studies are eligible to apply for admission to the program during their first year in law school.
Master of Social Work at UH
* Students wishing to combine a masters of social work and a law degree can earn a concurrent degree in the J.D/M.S.W. program.
Master of Public Health at the University of Texas School of Public Health
* A concurrent J.D./M.P.H. program is offered in conjunction with the University of Texas School of Public Health. Students can earn a J.D. and a Master of Public Health degree in four years of full time study – one year less than it would take to earn the degrees sequentially.
Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Humanities at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
* The Health Law and Policy Institute administers a concurrent J.D./Ph.D. program in conjunction with The Institute for Medical Humanities at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. Students can receive both a J.D. and a doctorate in medical humanities in five to six years.
Medical Doctorate at Baylor College of Medicine
* The UH Law Center, in conjunction with the Baylor College of Medicine, now offers students the opportunity to jointly obtain both a law (J.D.) degree and a medical doctorate (M.D.) degree. A student earns both degrees in six years of full-time study, one year less than it would take to complete the degrees separately. This extraordinary educational program highlights the relationship between law and medicine and provides students an important enrichment in their interdisciplinary studies. Students in this program attend their first, second, and fifth years of study at the Baylor College of Medicine, begin their law school curriculum during their third and fourth years, and complete both degrees in their sixth year.