Kansas City Finance

Sep 1 2017

Not Using My Car: Does it Need Insurance? #insurance, #car, #not #used, #off #the #road, #public #road,


Not Using My Car: Does it Need Insurance?

By: Sally Aquire (21 Jul 17)

The law states that all registered vehicles that are being used on public roads must be both taxed and insured. If you are caught without insurance, you can be fined and given penalty points on your driving licence. You can potentially be Disqualified from Driving for a while too. Although you are not legally obliged to insure vehicles that are currently off the road and being kept in private garages or on private land, you should make sure that your car is insured if it is being kept on a public road. There are also practical reasons for making sure that any vehicles registered by you are fully insured, regardless of where they are being kept. Your car can be involved in an accident without being on the road – the handbrake could fail, an electrical fault could start a fire or the car could be stolen. Without insurance, you are not covered for these types of situations.

If you are not going to be using your car for over a month, you can contact your insurance company and ask them to suspend your insurance cover during this period. They may also refund part of your insurance premium for this period too. This applies if your absence from driving is not related to the insurance cover (for example, you cannot usually do this if you have made a claim because your car has been stolen or damaged). The refund is usually paid when your insurance cover is reinstated again (i.e. when you begin driving again). Insurance companies such as Direct Line and RAC operate in this manner. During the suspension period, your car will still be covered for loss or damage that occurs as a result of theft or a fire, provided that it is locked away in a garage.

What type of insurance do I need?

That depends on where you intend to keep your car while it is not in use. If you are going to be parking your car in your garage to take advantage of suspended insurance cover while your car is off the road, you need to get insurance that covers you against theft and fire, but this will not cover you against third party accidents (which shouldn’t really be a problem if your car is locked away). If you are going to be parking your car on a road, you need to be covered for third party accidents as well.

Do I need to do anything else?

You need to inform the DVLA that your car is going to be off the road for a significant time through the Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN)certificate, which you can request from them. Using your car while the SORN is in place will result in a fine of up to £5000 and a possible prison sentence. The SORN lasts for a year, and must be renewed if you need to keep your car off the road longer than this. This can be done online at the DVLA website if you have a V11 form, a V58/1 form or a V5C form. Alternatively, you can do it by phone instead. If your local Post Office branch issues tax discs, you can take your V11 form there too. If you want to apply by post, you can request the SORN V890 form, and return it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

Further Reading

Ask for Advice or Share Your Story.

I have an unpleasant near trade neighbour. His van has been broken down for 2 months but is still parked curbside and is a nuisance. He has had mechanics looking at, but I guess can not afford to fix it. For the last 6 weeks he has hired another van. Is there any limit re has long it can just sit there and be a parking nuisance, or must it be towed away?

Hi can i keep my car in private driway without insurence? Many thanks for answers.

I have parked my car in the garage with no insurance but taxed. Would I be fined for keeping my car without insurance but in my house garage with tax? Thanks

I have lost my licence for drink driving. 6 months into my ban my car nowners has no insurance or tax but does have a valid mot. I need to have the car taken to be stored at my brothers house until I get my licence back in November. How can I do this legally.

Sian – Your Question:

I want to buy a car but I’m not sure if it is legal to park it in the car park at The back of my house; I have to designated parking spaces with my house and I’m not sure if I need insurance and MOT etc to park it there?

If the property does not belong to you (from what you’ve suggested the car park spaces do not form part of your property), then you will need insurance and tax. If you take it on a public road, you will also need an MOT.

my son has been issued a court order as his bike was taxed but not insured.it was in my garage and not used as he passed his driving test and got a car taxed and insured that. I taxed the bike as I thought that was the right thing to do but now I find that it is an offence and he is in trouble. The court have said that he would have been sent letters but we never received anything until last month advising we would be going to court.we filled this in explaining that the bike had been sold, but the next letter is a court summons.Please advise what we can do and would this be points on my sons new licence?

My car has been impounded by bailiffs. I have declared it SORN, as I do not intend to pay the ridiculous amount over parking tickets which are worth the car itself. Now the problem lies with the Insurance. Since I have insured my car for a year and have only 3 months usage of insurance gone on it, and have the remaining 6 months of insurance to go.As I do not intend to buy another vehicle can the insurance company refund me or will they want to keep it insured despite the circumstance.Also can a claim be made on insurance for impounded/scrapped cars?

Hi, I have a pretty complex problem: I am looking to buy a car in the UK but as an international on a foreign license the insurance is too expensive. Since I only intend to drive twice a month, I am looking to use temporary insurance (on a 3-day basis each time) whenever I want to drive. My question therefore is: Can I own and keep the car having paid my tax without a continuing insurance policy? Or must I declare it SORN every time I decide I won’t be driving it for two weeks until I do so again on a 3 day insurance policy? If that happens, whenever I use my V5c to pay for tax again, will I get a refund and will proof of my temporary insurance cover for those 3 days be sufficient to un-SORN the car? Thanks

I’ve declared a SORN, and am intending to scrap the vehicle, however, I may need to temporarily move it back onto the public road for ease of collection. Would I have to retax the vehicle?

I have a car that is my project car and i need to repair it before use on the road again, it is currently sorn and on my Fathers driveway, i am planning on moving house soon and the new house has a parking bay infront of it which is off the road, would i be able to park it there being sorn or would it need to be taxed and insured?

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *